Sunday, October 02, 2005

(NON) EXISTENCE OF GOD - Part 1

While ago I’d send a post about “one question to God” and some anonymous user made a comment by sending an address of a Christian site. Funny, he probably thought that I need some enlightenment. I’m not a believer but always thought about the concept of God seriously and tried to learn and read as much as possible. My own conscious decision was not to believe in anything. Right or wrong doesn’t matter, it’s the result of my own logic on the subject, and I read quite few things. So people, anyone who sends me some religious links, keep it in your mind that I know what I'm talking about.

God is an everlasting question of mankind. Believer or non-believer, all our thoughts are based around God. That’s why I decided to write my thoughts about this subject. It’s a compilation of my own thoughts and stuff I read here and there. I took also lots of aid from different sites on the net. Any brave person who wants to read it.. Well, be my guess.

But just for the record; I am not a theolog, a scientist or a philosopher. Just a normal person who likes to read a lot --or has nothing else to do at the moment :-)

***

(NON)EXISTENCE OF GOD

To find an evidence to proof the existence or non-existence of God kept many philosophers, scientists, religious mystics (and the normal man on the street) busy for centuries long. The ultimate question of mankind: “Is there a true One God?”. This question has found many explanations in human history and caused basically three main beliefs:
1. Theism, which accepts the existence of God.
2. Atheism, which denies the existence of such a God.
3. Agnosticism, which believes that we cannot know either that God does exist or that he does not.

At this age, when we look at back to the idea of God with all our knowledge, we can see that -besides tons of ridiculous evidence and arguments- there are basically three arguments survived ‘till now.
1. Teleological argument (design argument)
2. Cosmological argument
3. Ontological argument

Teleological arguments are arguments from the order in the universe to the existence of God. They are also known as arguments from design. (The name “the teleological argument” is derived from the Greek word telos, meaning end or purpose.) The suggestion is that it is more plausible to suppose that the universe is so because it was created by an intelligent being in order to accomplish that purpose than it is to suppose that it is this way by chance. If the universe contains design then there must be some intelligent agent that designed it. This is -to me- the weakest argument. Because neither there is such a perfect order or balance in the universe, as many people believe, nor an order that emerges from 'chaos' is have to be related to a power who plans everything in details (many times this is just an imperative result of chaos, not even a minor probability in chance). Therefore this argument rejected by many. What those who reject the argument dispute, then, is not whether the design in the universe implies that there is someone who designed it, but whether the order and complexity in the universe does constitute design.

Now we can look at the cosmological argument which I’ll go on further in the next post

<< last ________ next >>